What student think and what ICSI expect from CS Executive student both are the very crucial question.Most of the student that I have met and many of my friends tended to say I have attempted the 80 marks question or 90 marks question but still ICSI failed me.
This is not the right way that How many marks and question are you attempted, the most critical thing is-Are you written an answer according to the expectation of ICSI?.Are you prepared according to what ICSI expect from you or not?
Today I will tell from my sense and based on talking to the various teacher that how to prepare for CS Executive exam according to an expectation of ICSI.From time to time ICSI is also issuing guidelines that how to study a different subject in a different manner in an effective way.in this article, you find how to prepare or study a different subject which is expected by ICSI from CS Executive student.
For Tips You Can Also Read:How i Passed CS Executive in First Attempt.
Below are the Subject-specific guidance for CS Executive students in accordance with the ICSI Pattern.
Paper 1: Company Law
This paper proposes to provide an expert knowledge of the provisions of Company Law by developing an understanding of the regulation of companies and to provide a thorough knowledge of various provisions of Company Law to the students at Executive Programme level. At executive level students are advised to be thorough with the legal aspects of Company Law with the conceptual understanding. In this paper, detailed provisions of Companies Act and the rules made thereunder, are covered.
What ICSI Expect from You in company law?
#An understanding of concepts.
#Ceiling limits for various aspects,
# Fair idea on e-forms to be filed with various authorities for different activities.
# Powers of the Board and the shareholders, violation details and other various provisions of the Companies Act.
#Rules made thereunder is an essential recommendation for cs executive student.
Paper 2: Cost and Management Accounting
This paper is being held in the Optical Mark Recognition (OMR) format, whereby students are required to answer multiple choice questions on OMR sheets by darkening the appropriate choice. One mark is awarded for each correct answer. There is a negative mark for incorrect answers.
This paper has been devised to provide knowledge of principles and techniques of Cost and Management Accounting. The subject ‘Cost and Management Accounting’ is very important and useful for optimum utilisation of existing resources. It is an essential discipline for corporate management, as the information collected and presented to management based on cost and management accounting techniques helps management to solve not only specific problems but also guides them in decision making.
What ICSI expect from cs executive student in coast and management accounting.?
Since paper is OMR based so students appearing in this paper should keep the following points in consideration:
# To understand theoretical concepts and analysis rather than routine learning and mugging.
• To solve the practical problem as much as possible and to maintain suitable balance with theory.
• To concentrate on study material provided by the institute and other helping material (you can use various writer book or your coaching institute book if you are taking coaching).
• To concentrate on every topic since 100 questions need to be answered.
• Focus on time management, especially in solving the practical problems.n
• For updating, Students are advised to read ‘Student Company Secretary e-bulletin’, Chartered Secretary, Bare Act, recommended books and other publications on the subjects.
• To focus especially on standard costing, marginal costing and budget since these topics require more analytical skills.
Paper 3: Economic and Commercial Laws
The emerging economic environment involves rapid technological changes, the response in terms of change in methods, trade and services, globalisation of the economy, liberalisation of trade and industry, emphasis on international competitiveness and bringing the existing laws in tune with the future market needs.
Also Read:- Top CS Coaching in Delhi
The Government has also initiated legislative reforms in the area of economic and commercial laws. This paper has been developed to provide an understanding and to acquire knowledge of certain economic and commercial legislations which have a direct bearing on the functioning of companies.
As the area of Economic and Commercial Laws undergoes frequent changes, it becomes necessary for every student to constantly update with the various legislative changes made as well as judicial pronouncements rendered from time to time by referring to the decisions of Supreme Court, High Courts and Quasi-Judicial Bodies.
What ICSI expect from CS Executive Student in Economic and Commercial Laws?
Answer the questions with a due emphasis on the provisions of law.
Support their answers and conclusions with proper reasoning.
Answers should be based on case study decided by Supreme Court, High Courts and Quasi-Judicial Bodies wherever applicable.
Proper alignments of thoughts and expression while writing in an examination.
Practice writing daily. This will help a lot during examinations.
Write in a neat and legible handwriting.
Keep a watch on DIPP, RBI, CCI, Controller of Patents, Registrar of Copyright and Pollution Control Boards Circulars, Notifications issued from time to time.
Refer to the Website of Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion, Reserve Bank of India, Competition Commission of India.
For modernized, Students are advised to read ‘Student Company Secretary e-bulletin’, Chartered Secretary, Bare Act etc.
Refer to suggested books and other publications on the subjects and law relating to Patents, Trademarks, Copyright, Designs and Geographical Indications etc.
Also Read- Best and important Books for CS Executive.
Paper 4: Tax Laws and Practice
In this paper, students are expected to have a working knowledge of the basic principles underlying the substantive provisions of income tax, wealth tax, service tax and value added tax so that, they are able to apply these laws in the computation of income and taxation thereof.
The subject of Tax Laws is subject to constant refinement through new primary legislations, rules and regulations made thereunder and court decisions on specific legal issues. It, therefore, becomes necessary for every student to constantly update himself/herself with the various changes made and judicial pronouncements rendered from time to time.
What ICSI expect from cs executive student in Tax Laws and Practice?
• Practice as many practical problems as possible.
• Understand theoretical concepts and apply these in a practical scenario.
• Practice filing the income tax Return, VAT return, service tax return under an expert guidance.
• Refer the Direct Taxes and Indirect Taxes reckoner wherever required.
• Update yourself about all the relevant circulars, clarifications, notifications, etc. issued by the CBDT, CBEC & Central Government, on or before six months prior to the date of the respective examinations.
• Keep yourself updated with the judicial pronouncements rendered by the Apex Court, High Court and Tribunals.
Module – II
Paper 5: Company Accounts and Auditing Practices
This paper has been designed to provide the students with advanced knowledge of the principles and practices of company accounts and auditing in accordance with statutory requirements.
What ICSI expect from CS Executive Student in Company Accounts and Auditing Practices?
• Being a practical subject, students are advised to solve the practical problems as much as they can and understand the practical aspects of Company Law provisions.
• All the workings must form part of the answer. Students should not forget to refer/write the working number in their solution.
• Practice illustrations which are representing different situations; understand the logic – what, where and how it is getting changed and check the application of accounting standards.Company Accounts is a very dynamic subject and any change in company law provisions attracts a similar change in the accounting aspect relating to the particular change in company law. Students are expected to be aware of time to time changes made in company law and other corporate legislations.
• Since the listed company are governed by Securities Exchange Board of India (SEBI), students are expected to keep a watch on SEBI announcement relating to accounting aspects of listed companies.
• Refer the annual reports of various companies and get themselves acquaint with the latest development in corporate financial reporting.
• Students should obtain the practical insight of provisions relating to auditor’s appointment, various aspects of the statutory audit, cost audit and secretarial audit.
#For update, Students are advised to read ‘Student Company Secretary’, Chartered Secretary, Bare Act, recommended books and other publications on the subjects.
Paper 6: Capital Market and Securities laws
The subject Capital Market and Securities Laws is a very important subject of the CS Course. The Company Secretaries are recognized under various securities Laws such as Securities Contracts (Regulation) Act, 1956, Depositories Act, 1996, Regulations and guidelines issued by SEBI under the SEBI Act, 1992 and the Listing Agreement of the Stock Exchanges for Equity, Debt, IDRs & SME Listing.
SEBI has also authorized Practicing Company Secretaries to undertake an internal audit of various capital market intermediaries and an issue of the quarterly certificate with respect to the reconciliation of share capital audit. Students’ general perception that Capital Markets and Securities Laws is a theoretical subject, is a myth. The objective of this paper is to give expert knowledge; therefore, a student has to be fully conversant with all applicable laws in securities laws. After passing the CS course, the members have to deal with the practical situations and apply the theory of the relevant subject.
What ICSI expect from cs executive student in Capital Market and Securities laws?
• Concentrating more on the analytical skill for the implication of theory in a given case.
• As mentioned above a company secretary can conduct an internal audit as well as be a compliance officer of the company, so a student is required to have a thorough knowledge of Listing Agreement and also on various intermediaries’ regulations.
• With the enactment of Companies Act, 2013 SEBI has been taking initiatives to align with Companies Act, 2013 and in this direction, it has revised clause 49. So a student has to be well versed with the provisions of clause 49, their applicability and corresponding provisions of Companies Act, 2013 for better understanding and grasp of the subject.
• Referring case study as posted on the website of SEBI (www.sebi.gov.in) regularly.
• Attend study circle meetings organised by the chapters regularly on the related topic.
• Access the websites of SEBI, NSE, BSE etc. for the updated rules and regulations.
• Referring to one financial daily and journal for latest happenings in the corporate world with respect to the securities laws.
• Refer to Institute’s Journal ‘Student Company Secretary e-Bulletin’ and ‘Chartered Secretary’ for a constant update on legislative changes made from time to time.
Paper 7: Industrial, Labour and General Laws
This paper is being held in the Optical Mark Recognition (OMR) format.
What ICSI expect from cs executive student in Industrial, Labour and General Laws?
The students appearing in paper ‘Industrial, Labour and General Laws should keep following points into consideration.
Thoroughly cover the study material to acquire in-depth knowledge of substantial provisions of the Industrial, Labour and General laws.
Thorough knowledge of procedural formalities required under Industrial, and Labour Laws
A continuous follow-up of various Notifications, Circulars, Clarification issued by the Regulators from time to time.
Awareness to various Rulings of Supreme Court, High Court and Quasi-Judicial Bodies wherever applicable.
Enhance the ability to reason out while answering the question.
The answer should be based on relevant legal provisions and case study decided by Supreme Court, High Court and Quasi-Judicial Bodies wherever applicable.
Regularly read the Law Journals and develop analytical and logical skills and improve presentation skills.
Thanks for your patient friends for reading for such a lengthy article.I know most of the you are thinking that all possible expectation are very difficult in practical to follow like keeping updates yourself with all the latest case law, circular or judgements etc. you are thinking right friends, all the expectation is very difficult to follow.that’s why CS is called professional.
if you want to be an excellent CS and brighter future you have to be updated yourself with various case law relating to the corporate world, court’s judgment relating to corporate sector circular and various amendments from time to time.because CS is all about Corporate legalities.Be serious about your Career and be a Dynamic and Excellent Company Secretary.
If you have any suggestion or feedback or anything tell about friends feel free to Comment.
You can also like our Facebook Page to get regular updates.
Also Read:- Company Secretary Course Detail-A Complete Guide